top of page



Do you fund court costs for legal representation?

You can contact us with a request for legal costs and we will put you in touch with your local Oranga Tamariki Ministry for Children, Site Manager who will discuss your needs and how they can be met.


Can I get support for tertiary education costs?

Support to permanent caregivers under the s388A criteria can only be provided where there is no other government provision eg student loans. However, some education related costs will meet the criteria if the child or young person has extraordinary needs.

Can I get respite care?

Ideally caregivers are supported by wider family and friends to assist with providing time out of home for the child or young person. Where there are no alternative care options, the PCSS will assess your needs and plan with you to meet those.

What if I’m not happy with a decision made by PCSS about the support I requested?

Where you are not happy with a decision made by the PCSS under the s388A(2) criteria, you have a right to request a formal review of that decision. The review is carried out by Oranga Tamariki Ministry for Children. If you are still not happy you can have the decision reviewed in the Family Court.


If you would like to request a formal review of a decision made by the PCSS under s388A(2) please follow this link to the application for the PCSS-Review of Decision-form and email your application to  Alternatively, you may post the review of decision application directly to the Ministry as indicated on the form.

Johnson Taoho 
Permanent Caregiver Support 
Oranga Tamariki
Ministry for Children 
Private Bag 3119 
Waikato Mail Centre Hamilton 3240  

I am struggling to manage contact between us and our child’s/young person’s birth family

The PCSS can talk to you about the needs of your child/young person and the impact of contact on them. We will discuss options which may include having a social service provider supporting you to manage contact or, if the situation is threatening the welfare of your child/young person, we can give some advice about a change of legal orders.

bottom of page